Monday 12/22/2014

I woke feeling cranky and my sugar levels so high I wanted to cry but not having the time to bother with such silly emotions. Today is the day of go, go, go. I had planned a nice breakfast of herb beef patties, eggs, and toast. None of this happened because my mind was already spinning. I had to hurry and finish cleaning up from our family holiday feast the night before and get in gear for my State childcare health and safely inspection! My yard needed things gotten rid of, the smoke alarm needed moving, gates adjusted, doors hung with better safety options, escape plan posted and the updated poison control number attached to my cell phone in such a way that even the small children could do it if needed to name but a few things that had to be done ASAP. I took the time to take a few deep breaths, drank my coffee and got to work. My family stayed in bed late so no one really noticed that breakfast came and went without anything actually being made. I realize this is so not how I was hoping to start off the week but hay you look at it and move on right?

I made it through my State inspection with flying colors and we ended up talking about the coming changes for next year and how they would affect many providers but not really me as I already do all of those things because I believe they should be done for the betterment of the children and the care I provide. We also discussed what it would take for me to move up to the highest level of in home care the State approves and how that would affect me, my budget, and the families I work with. My inspection normally takes about 15 minutes and this time lasted well over an hour but really I believe it will be worth it in the long run. My inspector is sending me the packet to apply for the higher level and has already done most of that inspection so it should be a cake walk when I decided to do it. I would be able to afford to higher a full time assistant rather than just part time help, income would go up substantially, and I would be more willing to consider increasing the number of children in care a little bit (I am never at my limit because I believe firmly that it is better for the children to keep my ratio of adult to children low). The meeting took so long though that I had only minutes to grab a slice of ham for lunch instead of the planned chicken Caesar salad before my next appointment.

When I moved into this new home, the previous people had fish in a nice 20 gal. tank that is on a pedestal. They ended up leaving it behind along with a goldfish. I found a home for the fish but the daycare children saw the tank and got so excited that I decided to keep it, clean it up and try my hand at a freshwater tropical tank with live plants and no ceramic. I wanted it to be as natural as a home tank reasonable can be. The challenge is, I have no clue what I am doing. For me fish is what I cook and put on the dinner table right? I read a few books, talked to several people, and decided I was so not ready to take this on but at the same time did not want to disappoint the children and heck the take was already here, so I did the only thing I could think of. I called “The Wet Spot” and asked for Matt their handy tank service guy. He has now been out twice with the first time getting the tank all cleaned up and setting the water levels to support life. Today, he came back with stunning wood features, live plants, and a handful of pretty fish to start stocking the tank. I now have 1 gold snail, a pair of Irian Red Rainbow, and 10 Rummy nose tetra. He then helped me figure out the lighting set up that I have and discussed what I would like for him to bring in two weeks when he returns. All in all I am really happy with the use of this time and do not regret the shift in meal as I know that sitting and watching the fish will be a huge step in helping me relax through the day regardless of what is going on in my life. Stress management a win meal choice not so much.

Finally, the day moved along and I knew I should be making dinner but kept thinking we had a LOT of leftovers from the day before feast and put off making the Moroccan lamb stew in favor of making room in my two fridges and letting everyone scrounge for nutrition. I toodled off to pickup the friends at the train station and we proceeded to stay up way past my bed time. Normally I am in bed pretty early and I suppose that 2am is early except to me that in normally closer to my wake up time rather than the go to bed time. Oh well, it was a good day and I have hopes of better choices Tuesday…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s